Wednesday 5 March 2014

Dark Days- DJ Shadow





Dark Days is a documentary made by Marc Singer, who follows a group of people living in a abandoned section of New York City underground. What I like about this documentary is the way the different sound elements all come together, as well as having all the atmospheres, the interviews you also have a sound track that is created by DJ shadow. Having a soundtrack of that quality adds a whole new layer to the film, the high energy sound track really complements the ambient sounds.









Another element about the film I like is way the interviews are constructed, they feel very natural and you really get a sense of what kind of place they living in. although the sound quality is great and you might not always understand what the guys are saying I think that adds a new layer of mystery to the film.


I also like the use of ambient sounds in dark days as they help create atmosphere and create a sense of place. DJ shadow uses a technique called sampling which I really like, this is where he takes sound bites and adds that to his soundtrack to me, to me that that create a narrative inside his music and something that I would like to experiment in my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment