Sunday 8 December 2013

Experimental Film Research

Experimental film research 

After looking at the reading we was given in class we where told to analyse one of the experimental film.  I chose Star Guitar by the Chemical Brothers directed by Michael Gondry in 2002. I’m a big fan of the chemical brothers and very aware of the video but I had never analysed it from a filmmaker’s point of view, as I was trying to create a piece of music it only seemed right to study this experimental film.


The video is about a train journey as it passes a number of different landmarks the camera on the back on a train. After watching this piece I was amazed at how seamlessly the whole piece flowed, the transition between one location to another was incredible.  






Another aspect of this video I like was the way the film was edited the director used transitions of tunnels and other trains passing to help the change the location of the piece.







I also did some more research and came across one of the films we where shown at the stat of the semester Tango (Director: Zbigniew Rybczynski, Poland, 1981) this piece shows a boy getting a ball from a house and repeats this video over and over again as other people enter the room.


What I like about this film is that each individual are in a separate time as non of the people interact with each over and but share the same space I found this aspect very interesting. As more and more people entered the room I got quite hard to follow and found myself quite confused and wasn’t totally sure what I was suppose to gain from the experience apart from confusion



Then I started to think about my own piece of work as piece is all about layers of sounds and how they build up to create a piece of music, much like this piece of experimental film.

No comments:

Post a Comment